Blackburn High School accepts full-fee paying students from overseas as part of the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program which is run by the Department of Education and Training (DET). Over the years the school has hosted students from a wide range of countries including Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Malayasia, Indonesia, India, Germany and Denmark. Our focus, for both local and international students, is on high academic achievement to provide the best opportunities for University, TAFE and planning for students’ futures.
Eligibility and Application Process
The International Program hosts students from Years 7 – 12, from a wide range of countries including Japan, China, Korea,Blackburn High School accepts full-fee paying students from overseas as part of the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program which is run by the Department of Education and Training (DET) . To enrol at Blackburn High School, prospective students must first be accepted as students in DET’s program and meet Visa requirements.
Carefully selected Homestay families are all English speaking and located in close proximity to the school. Our International Student Coordinator regularly visits Homestay families to ensure the highest quality care.
A special place to be
We have an established reputation for offering world-class teaching and facilities.
- Excellent facilities, conveniently located approximately 10 km from the city
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) is offered at all levels and is taught in the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Extensive range of VCE subjects including Maths, Science, Humanities, Creative Arts, Business Studies, and Information Technology
- Internationally recognised Music education program and state of the art Music Centre including commercial-standard digital recording studio
- Award-winning Music Education Program offering extensive solo, large and small ensemble experience including symphony orchestras, stage and concert bands, jazz ensembles, choirs
- Highly qualified, dedicated and friendly staff, including a full time International Student Coordinator and multilingual support staff
- State of the art Information Technology throughout the school
- All students from Years 7 to 12 need to bring their own device. School programs and Apps will be downloaded free of charge
- At Year 9 students study a special program called Connections which gives students the opportunity to engage in deep, rich research in an area of their choosing.
- Year 9 students can also choose to undertake the Duke of Edinburgh Award program
- Wireless internet connection throughout the school makes it easy for students to do their research from anywhere in the school.
- Excellent Resource Centre with focus on technology, web-based research, ebooks as well as the traditional hardcover resources
- State of the art Science laboratories
- Nationally recognised, award-winning Sports Leadership Program designed to develop future leaders through sport
- Award-winning co-curriculum Sports Program that emphasises fitness and gives opportunities for all students to participate in a wide range of team sports
The school’s focus is on providing the right environment for students to have every opportunity to achieve academic success.
- Every opportunity is provided for students to practise the English language
- Our Mentor Program gives students the opportunity to mix with students of all ages and all cultures
- The House System provides an environment in which all students are well known and well cared for, which promotes integration into the Australian culture
- Students’ Homestay families speak English
- International students are approximately 5.5% of the student population, encouraging full integration into the school community
- Multicultural and global education is emphasised in academic programs throughout the school
- Students are required to first study at a specialised English Language School before starting classes at Blackburn High School
Blackburn High School is situated in a safe, leafy, residential suburb in Melbourne’s attractive eastern suburbs. It is well serviced by public transport and Melbourne’s freeway network.
The school is a 10 minute walk from the Blackburn railway station. A frequent suburban train service links Blackburn to the city in the west (about 30 minutes) and to Lilydale and Belgrave in the east.
Buses depart Blackburn Station to all the surrounding suburbs. In addition, buses link Blackburn to the northern and southern suburbs along Middleborough Road.
The Eastern Freeway, which connects up with all of Melbourne’s freeways and toll roads, is less than three minutes by car from the school. There is ample parking in North Blackburn Shopping Centre in Williams Road (adjacent to Blackburn High School).
Melbourne Airport is located to the north of the city and is easily accessed from Blackburn by the freeway system. Alternatively passengers can take a suburban train to Southern Cross Station in the city and then the Skybus to the airport. Another option is the Eastside Airport bus which leaves from both Blackburn and Box Hill stations.
2021 International Student Fees
For further information, please contact
International Education Division Department of Education and Training
41 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002 Australia
Tel: +61 3 9637 2990
Fax: +61 3 9637 2184