High Achievers’ Program Key Dates
Applications for the High Achievers’ Program for Year 7 2017 are now open.
Saturday 14th May 2016, 8:30am for 9:00am start Concludes 12.00pm (Noon)
Please click on the link below to apply to sit for the test:
High Achievers’ Program Information Evening
Tuesday 19 April, 2016 – 7.00pm – 8.00pm
This is an opportunity for parents to learn more about the program, the examination process and the interview.
Examination and Interview
Students sit for an Edutest examination held at Blackburn High School. If the student’s results match the criteria for selection for the program they will then be invited to attend an interview with the Principal and Senior Staff.
A place is then offered based on the results of the examination and interview.
Description of the Test
The Ability tests
1. Verbal Reasoning 30 minutes long Measures the ability to think and reason using words and language. This includes vocabulary, word relationships, classification and deduction.
2. Numerical Reasoning 30 minutes long Measures the ability to think and reason using numbers. This includes series, matrices, arithmetical reasoning and deduction.
The Achievement tests
3. Reading Comprehension 30 minutes long Measures the capacity to read and interpret meaning from written passages, as well as correct, complete and punctuate sentences.
4. Mathematics 30 minutes long Measures year-level appropriate mathematical knowledge, including items tapping numbers, measurement, algebra, space and data.
5. Written Expression 15 minutes long This is a writing test that assesses the ability to convey ideas clearly in written form. Any of the following modes of writing may be assessed: creative, descriptive, narrative, persuasive, expository or informative. Students will be assessed on a range of criteria, including: Relevance to the topic, accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar, proper sentence structure and paragraphing.
For further information please contact:
Mrs Denise Strahan
High Achievers’ Program Administrative Assistant
Phone 8804 6408
Expanding students’ minds in creative and innovative ways
Students are taught questioning strategies, problem-solving skillls, decision-making, and the language of thinking reflectively, critically and creatively. Our approach is enquiry-based learning through the explicit teaching of thinking skills to guide our students’ intellectual development around a central, overarching question in all four core subject areas – English, Science, Maths and Humanities.
Through the following overarching questions students investigate, explore and challenge the ideas and actions of writers, philosophers, social thinkers, mathematicians and scientists.
- Year 7: How did thinkers of the ancient world make sense of the world?
- Year 8: What does it mean to be human?
- Year 9: What is the relationship between ethics, morality and citizenship?
- Year 10: Students have early access to the VCE and take two Year 11 VCE subjects
- Year 11: Students take two Year 12 VCE subjects
HAP Information Night
Parents interested in finding out more about the program are invited to attend our HAP Information Night. This is an opportunity to learn about the exciting curriculum, teaching methodology and meet the staff and students involved in this exceptional program.
There will be an High Achievers’ Information Night on:
Tuesday 19th April – 7pm
For enquiries about the application process, please contact our High Achievers’ Program Administrative Assistant, Denise Strahan, by phone (03) 8804 6408 or email HighAchieversProgram@blackburnhs.vic.edu.au